According to 2007 reports, Brahmins in India are about five percent of its total population. The Himalayan states of Uttarakhand (20%) and Himachal Pradesh (14%) have the highest percentage of Brahmin population relative to respective state’s total Hindus.
Where do Brahmins live in India?
Most Brahmins are located in the Northern states of India which includes Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh, and small concentrations in the southern states which includes Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala.
Which is the highest caste in Brahmins?
Brahman, also spelled Brahmin, Sanskrit Brāhmaṇa (“Possessor of Brahma”), highest ranking of the four varnas, or social classes, in Hindu India.
Who is the richest Brahmin in India?
- Anupam Kher – Bollywood Actor.
- Pranab Mukherjee – Thirteen President of India.
- Narayan Murthy – Chairman of Infosys.
- Rabindranath Tagore – Poet/Writer.
- Vijay Mallya – Founder of Kingfisher.
- Satya Narayan Nadella – Microsoft’s CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- Sunder Ranjan Pichai – CEO of Google.
Who is the best Brahmin in India?
- Bhabani -Rani/Queen of Natore.
- Bhavashankari – Rani/Queen of Bhurishrestha.
- Chach of Alor,Hindu king of Sindh and was the founder of Brahman dynasty.
- Gangu, Brahmin ruler of the Deccan.
- Gautamiputra Satakarni, Most successful ruler of Brahmin Satavahana dynasty use the title Eka-brahmana.
Who is true Brahmin?
A TRUE Brahmin is one who has acquired brahminhood not by birth but through his noble actions. He who has gained Supreme Self-knowledge is a Brahmin. Vedas and Epics proclaim that there is no caste differentiation in the Brahminic State.
Which gotra is higher in Brahmin?
Shandilya (IAST: Śāṇḍilya, Sanskrit: शाण्डिल्य) was the name of a prominent Rishi and was the progenitor of the Śāṇḍilya gotra, which is also one of the top 8 highest Brahmin gotras (lineages).
Are Brahmins Aryans?
The Brahmins were Aryan invaders from the North and therefore brought their own language—Sanskrit—with them.
Which surnames are Brahmins?
Mishra, Pandey, Bharadwaj, Deshmukh, Deshpande, Kulkarni, Desai, Patil, Jothi, Kaul, Trivedi, Chaturvedi, Agnihotri, Mukherjee, Chatterjee, Acharya, Goswami, Desai, Bhat, Rao, Hegde, Sharma, Shastri, Tiwari, Shukla, Namboothiri, Iyer, Iyengar and what not. Brahmins use their caste names as surnames with much pride.
Who is higher Brahmin or Rajput?
Unlike the Kshatriyas, the Rajputs were generally illiterate hence their rise did not present a threat to intellectual monopoly of the Brahmins – and the Rajputs accepted the superiority of the educated Brahmin community.
Which caste is best in India?
1. Brahmans: Brahmans are at the top in Varna hierarchy. Main castes of this Varna are those of priests, teachers, custodians of social ritual practices and arbiter of correct social and moral behaviour.
Are all Sharma Brahmins?
Sharma is a Brahmin Hindu surname in India and Nepal. … According to Vabisya Purana, Sensharma or Sharma is the first Brahmin surname. Parshuram gave this title to King Jaisen.
Which caste is powerful in Delhi?
Caste and politics
According to a 2013 The Hindu article, surveys by the political parties indicate that the dominant voter caste / community groups in Delhi include the Jats (10%), Punjabis (9%), Vaish (8%), Gujjars (7% ) and Sikhs (4%).